You're probably pretty surprised to find that I watch something that came out after 1997. Well, it's pretty rare, but I make an exception for "New Girl." It's probably mostly because I'm riding the Zooey Deschanel bandwagon. And if you say you aren't, you're lying.
I love "New Girl" because of its humor. I find it refreshing. I like the fact that the writers aren't afraid to get a little out there and try new things because it makes for a TV show that is anything but boring. Sometimes the plot lines and situations the characters get themselves into can be a little far fetched, but I like that. It's new and it's different from everything else out there.
I also like the show because of the characters--they're relatable. Eccentric, but relatable. I am a twenty-something who has no idea what I'm going to do with my life, and I love watching other twenty- or thirty-somethings muddling through life, trying to figure out what the heck they're doing. That makes me feel better about my hot mess of a life. I like being reinforced in the fact that it's ok to not have everything together at this point.
I love Nick's character. It might be because I relate to him the most--we are both complete and utter disasters, but that's ok. Hopefully, it's endearing. Whatever, it works for him. And I agree with Jess, I'm into the grumpy old men Walter Matthau type. There's something comforting about people who not only aren't afraid to grow old but are even growing into their comfort age as they get older. Rock on, Nick.

I do appreciate that female leads have gotten less "perfect" and more relatable in sitcoms. Good stuff!
ReplyDelete"... I'm riding the Zooey Deschanel bandwagon. And if you say you aren't, you're lying." Ain't that the truth.
ReplyDeleteI started watching this show a few weeks ago. I stopped after about 5 or 6 episodes. Honestly, Zooey Deschanel's character is just a little bit too odd for me.
ReplyDeleteThis show is so funny! I was cracking up the whole time! Love it!
ReplyDeleteAnd the list gets ever longer. Seriously, it'll take me until I'm 50 to watch everything I want to/am told I need to. Great post, Kate!
ReplyDeleteI'm all about a strong female lead - in TV and in life. Perhaps I'll have to check this show out!
ReplyDeleteI have seen an episode or two of this because someone I know likes it. It's not really my type of show, but that's okay.
ReplyDelete