I am one of the many people obsessed with "Downton Abbey." I love period dramas, and this show gives me more than my fix. The cast, the scenery, the costumes, the music--it's all gorgeous. The show is set in a huge English mansion in the WW1/1920s era and covers the lives of both sides of the house: the rich family who lives upstairs and the servants who live downstairs.
Like every other show, I have a list of characters that I want to punch in the face. Isobel Crawley: She is the mother of the future heir of Downton Abbey. I know that everything she does is driven by good intentions, but her intensity and the way she pushes other people drives me berserk. Lady Edith Crawley: When I originally took the Buzzfeed quiz to see which Downton Abbey character I was, I was terribly disappointed to find out that I was matched with Edith. Yes, she grew on me after a while (even though it took four years of war to make her less annoying), but it took a few seasons for me to warm up to her because of her smart mouth (and not the good kind) and her tattle-tales. Ivy Stuart, the kitchen maid: I really really just wanted her to get out of the way so Daisy and Alfred could get together. Edna Braithwaite: I really don't think this demands an explanation. I knew she was the devil the first time I laid eyes on her.
Not that I'm a hateful person--I have so many people on the show that I love. Mr. Carson: He's the head butler of the house, but he's a total softie. I wouldn't be upset if he took me as his adopted granddaughter. Mrs. Hughes: Pretty much the same as Mr. Carson, she can act tough, but she has such a sweet side. Sarah O'Brien: If you've just started watching the show, then this pick might surprise you since she seems like the Antichrist. But don't worry, she finds her inner softie as time goes by and you'll grow to like her. Joseph Molesely: He bounces around between different positions in the house, probably because he is such a klutz. But he's sweet and I find his inability to do anything right endearing. Mrs. Patmore: She is the cook of the house and she is probably my favorite. She's a stout little woman with an adorable accent and a big personality. Like many of the other servants, she puts on a rough front but is adorable to the core. Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham: She is played by Maggie Smith and is tied with Mrs. Patmore for my favorite character. She is the rich grandmother who can get away with saying whatever she wants. She is the sassiest woman I have ever seen, and I really think the show would be nothing without her.
Basically, "Downton Abbey" is amazing. Go ahead and give it one or two episodes and get yourself addicted.

Ah, yes! Good choices [I agree, Edith grows on you.] I couldn't bring myself to watch season three, after my favorite characters died. Still, I was enthralled by it for a while!
ReplyDeleteYou should watch it! I was a little traumatized when they killed some of the characters, too, but they bounce back! :)
DeleteI never understood the hype about this show, but I can't really offer an opinion considering I haven't watched a single episode. You have pretty good taste though, Kate, so I might give it a try if it's on Netflix.
ReplyDeleteI've heard so many good things about this show. I think I'll really have to give it a try. Thanks for the recommendation.
ReplyDeleteI have been planning to watch this show for like 3 years and I still haven't done it, but one of these days I will get my hands on a copy and join the club!
ReplyDeleteI need to finish this show! I started watching it on CU library DVDs, but then the library required me to return them. Sigh. I'll finish it eventually!
ReplyDeleteI love that you have a list of people you want to punch in the face of each show you watch. You're an amusing person Kate. Also, I like your taste in shows. I got all the seasons on DVD for my birthday and will proceed to have a Downton Abbey mega marathon come May 5th!
ReplyDeleteMy parents and brother really liked this. I have never seen it. Like so many of these shows you watch.
ReplyDelete